As children, we have access to some of the smallest items we will ever hold. Dollhouse miniatures, little LEGO bits, that tiny stuff that popped out of gumball machines, even the little toys in our Cracker Jacks or Pink Elephant Popcorn. Tiny doll accessories, those little cars and trucks, and small beads and stickers that we manage to collect along the way. This is the stuff that we hold on to for a long time past childhood, often only tossing it when we have to move or we run out of drawer space. I had a drawer full of it, some items were stashed into my jewelry box, others sadly moved on to the trash bin. Those were the days before recycling, and also, I might note, the days before we became so hyper-aware of choking hazards.
Sometimes, just the sight of those tiny toys can send us hurtling back through memory lane, and holding them is even more powerful. But where can we find those things long lost and often forgot. Well, some of them are actually available in limited quantities and though they themselves may not be unique or handmade creations [the focus of this blog], they can be used to create more permanent and lasting items that are far more practical. Whether they are turned into jewelry, sculpture, art dolls, or something more is up to the artist, but finding those things no longer an impossible dream. Tiny Things Are Cute is a self described “emporium of little lovelies & wily whatnots”.
Some items are vintage, others new, and still others reproductions, but it is a great site to spend a little time looking around. It’s amazing how many time you will say, “Oh-Em-Gee, I had one of those!”. I am almost certain you will see something you forgot you once treasured, and it may be just the thing you need to re-charge your creative juices, no matter what type of crafty person you are. Here are a sampling of some of my favorite tiny things from the Online Shop, and this is a “Tiny” sampling in every sense of the word. Enjoy.
Items on Tiny Things Are Cute can be found in a variety of materials, including various metals, glass, and plastic. There is also a selection of vintage paper ephemera and toys. Items are divided into categories such as charms, one-of-a-kind, and seasonal finds. If you are a jewelry maker, you can also pick up some great “findings” and parts to help with your creations.
Item availability and quantities available vary depending on the item, particularly for vintage items. Please check Tiny Things Are Cute Website for current stock list and availability.
Perhaps the best deal of all, the “Jar O’Loot. A full 16 oz. grab bag of charms, beads, miniatures, toys, stickers, cabochons, findings, and more – most of which is vintage. Content is similar in each jar but each jar will be different. The surprise factor alone is pretty fabulous! Thank goodness for Teeny Tiny Tuesdays!
- Creepy Critters Vintage Gumball Toys (24 for $1.95 USD) Measures about 1″ to 1-1/2″. Made in Hong Kong.
- Flicker Watch Vintage Ring (1 for $1.50 USD) Super cute vintage rings that look like miniature watches, flicker face. Measure about 3″ in length.
- Hot Dog Plastic Charms (8 for $1.50 USD) Measures about 1″.
- Cigar Bands (20 for $1.25 USD) Packets have 20 different cigar bands. Packets may also vary in content. Sizes vary from about 2 – 2.5″ in length.
- Chompers Vintage Plastic Charm (1 for $1.25 USD) Mmeasure about 5/8″ x 3/4″ (15x17mm).
- Soda Pop Can Plastic Charms (8 for $2.85 USD) Get An Assortment (Pepsi, 7up, Dr. Pepper). Measures a little less than 1″x.5″(24x12mm).
- Anthropomorphic Fruit & Veggie Vintage Charms. (6 for $2.85 USD) Measures roughly 1-1/2″ tall. Made in Hong Kong.
- Strip Poker Pin-up Vintage Playing Card (1 for $0.75 USD)Playing card with an image of a sexy cowgirl playing what looks like strip poker. These are standard sized playing cards, sold individually, in your choice of Red (left) or Yellow (right).
- Wiggle Turtle Vintage Plastic “Mechanical” Charms (6 for $2.95 USD)Charms are randomly chosen and may vary from the colors shown. Measures about 1 1/8″ x .75″(27x19mm). Made in Hong Kong.
- Glass Jar and Lid Miniature. (1 for $2.75 USD) Measures 1″ tall including the lid.
- Double Heart Vintage Plastic Picks (12 for $3.95 USD) You get a pack of 12 clever picks featuring two hearts with an arrow through them, 3 of each neon color shown. Measures about 6-1/4″ in length. Limited stock!
- Plastic Jeweltone Animals (12 for $2.50 USD) Reproductions of vintage toys.For size reference, the alligator measures about 3-1/2″ x 11/16″. May Include dog, seal, elephant, camel, alligator, kangaroo, horse, giraffe, hippo, pelican, rhino, monkey, cow, bear, squirrel, donkey.
- Jar O’Loot. 16oz. Assorted Odds & Ends. (As Described Above, $16.00 USD/Jar)