If you’ve read them, you get it. If you haven’t read them, what the heck are you waiting for? No, I am not talking about the *shudder* ever popular sparkling vampire meets girl meets wolf sappy teen pulp series that shall remain nameless, yes that one. I am talking about a series of books that redefines Teen Fiction as a genre, and doesn’t wrap up in the end with a shiny pink bow. I am speaking of The Hunger Games, the must-read three book series by Suzanne Collins that is soon to be a must-see movie scheduled for release in late March of 2012. Wednesday’s are all about the things that fall under the heading “geekery”, and today… book geeks shall rejoice!
I read, a lot, and I have read a lot of Teen Fictions. The Hunger Games is unlike any series of books I have read before, it presents a cruel vision of the future where the vast difference between the classes is for some, quite literally, a matter of life and death. Before this becomes a book review, something this blog is not about, I need to say that praise for these books, and the passionate following they have garnered is absolutely well placed. As I said to my 14 year old niece in a recent “book club” phone call, these books are not about happy endings, they are about reminding us to appreciate the good things in life, the people we love, and about the horrors of war.
They are not for everyone, particularly every teenager, but if you love The Hunger Games series, or love someone who does, you will understand the flourishing market for items that remind readers and fans of their heroes and the messages these books highlight. I would go further to say that handmade, one-of-a-kind [OOAK], and unique items are more likely to delight true fans of the books. Forget the licensed and mass marketed items that will no doubt be flooding stores soon. I believe Katniss Everdeen, the hero of The Hunger Games trilogy of books, would be the first to tell you that it is the rare finds that are often are the ones worth having.
This selection of Hunger Games inspired items would be a dream come true for any fan, and make a perfect Valentine’s gift or birthday present. This is a something that means something more than yet another mass produced something. That is a lot of somethings. Call it geekery, call it being a book nerd, say that it is fanatic fandom, but you just have to love someone who loves to read.
All items featured here were found on Etsy, and all details and links can be found at the end of this post. Whether you are a fan of the books or not, you can certainly appreciate the appeal of these beautiful, handmade, and OOAK items. Enjoy, and pick up a great book that you can get lost in today. May the odds be ever in your favor.
- Golden Hunger Games Katniss Everdeen Mokingjay Pin by Ryanrunsriot, A Weary Wandering Etsy Shop.
- Vintage Linen Czech Military Bag, Hand Painted Mockingjay – Hunger Games Inspired by Cindy, CLP Studio on Etsy.
- The Hunger Games Inspired Rue’s Lullaby Hand Stamped Silver Necklace With Charms by Shelby Issac, shelbyissac on Etsy.
- Hunger Games Books Fringe Charm Bracelet by sophiesbeads, Sophie’s Beads on Etsy
- Mockingjay Headband in Double Braided Leather by Michele, quirk shop on Etsy.
- The Hunger Games – Katniss Arrow, Mockingjay, Freshwater Pearl and Key Charms – Ladies Working Watch Necklace by Twilight Eyes Studio on Etsy
- Hunger Games Altered Book Purse Featuring a Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins by Erin Strauss, Make Believe Books LLC on Etsy
- Hunger Games 74th, Filigree Mockingjay Katniss Necklace by Jackie, geraldsbargains Movies & Books That INSPIRE on Etsy