Can you identify these stitched up quotes and sayings? Are you ready to take a little quiz with me here at the ‘Fab’? Put on your thinking caps, or tinfoil anti-alien helmets, and get a pencil. Each numbered image is a quote from a Television Show, Broadway Spectacular, or Movie. How many can you identify all on your own, no cheating – close that Google tab down!
Are you a movie buff, a pop-culture vulture, or a chic geek? Do you quote famous lines of dialogue, get all those obscure references and ‘in’ jokes? Do you have a catalog of expressions that comes in handy in almost any situation, giving you instant hipster cred? There are 24 fabulously stitched up quotes in this quiz, so you are bound to know a bunch of these.
Sometimes the best way to find a kindred spirit in a crowded room, at a party, or on the first day of work or school is to go with an inside joke that only those in the know will appreciate. Some of them are stolen from TV, Movies, or Broadway, but they all have one thing in common. Said in the right place at the right time they are absolutely hysterical and instantly bring to mind the scene of the line, the origin of the speeches, if you will.
OK, enough with the puns and on with the fun, here are a heap of awesome quotes, all you have to do if figure out where they are from. They come in one of my favorite forms of geekery, crochet and cross-stitch. A very traditional medium with a very modern twist, it is the hipster equivalent of chalk and cheese, at least in my way of thinking. Two things that are different, particularly two things that are superficially alike but very different in substance, or rather the opposite. Two things superficially different, but somehow alike in a hipster substance kind of way. Never mind, it’s hard to explain. It just works.
I have numbered the images, the answers to the question “where did this quote come from?” can be found at the very bottom of this post, along with links to the fabulous Etsy shops where you can snap up these little bits of wonderful. Some of these hoop sayings are ready made, some are made-to-order, and others are patterns for you to download or receive and stitch up yourself. So read the individual Etsy listings to find out for sure what form of funny you are checking out.
Whether hanging in a group on the wall near your entertainment section, or placed on a side table with your favorite family photos, you will surely have room in your home for a little awesome in an embroidery hoop. Now get cracking at my little test, and let me know in the comments just how many of these quotes you identified on first reading.
Answers and Links To The Etsy Listings:
- Suck It, Trebek. [Quote from SNL Skit, Will Ferrell as Sean Connery on Celebrity Jeopardy Parody, 1999] Embroidery Hoop, Blue Fiber Art Home Decor, 4″ Hoop by Stitch Culture on Etsy.
- Tea. Earl Grey. Hot. [Quote from Star Trek: The Next Generation, Captain Jean Luc Pickard] Cross Stitch PDF Pattern by BetaStitch, LadyBeta on Etsy.
- Suck It, Nerds. [Quote from Liz Lemon, 30 ROCK] Simple Home Decor, 3″ Art by StitchCulture on Etsy.
- Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner [Quote from Dirty Dancing, Johnny Castle played by Patrick Swayze] Beautiful and Charming, Hand Stitched, Ready-To-Hang Dirty Dancing Quote by My Heart & Anchor on Etsy.
- I Gave Her My Heart, She Gave Me A Pen. [Quote from Say Anything, by Lloyd Dobler played by Jon Cusack] Embroidery Hoop Art. Embroidered Quote, Ready To Ship by Gracey May on Etsy.
- I Saved Latin. What Did You Ever Do? [Quote from Rushmore, Max Fischer played by Jason Schwartzman] Embroidered Wall Art. Movie Quote by Gracey May on Etsy.
- There’s No Basement At The Alamo! [Quote from Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure, Movie, voiced by Tina played by Jan Hooks to Pee-Wee played by Paul Reubens] Hand Embroidery Hoop – Pee-Wee by moxiedoll on Etsy.
- Does Barry Manilow Know You Raided His Wardrobe? [Quote from The Breakfast Club, John Bender played by Judd Nelson] Quote Framed Cross Stitch Sampler by Snarky Little Stitcher on Etsy.
- Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica. [Quote from The Office (US), voiced by Jim Halpert impersonating Dwight Schrute] Pop Culture TV Quote Hand Embroidery Hoop Art, Office Decor Wall Art by Stitch Culture on Etsy.
- Stay In The House, Carl. [Quote from The Walking Dead, said by pretty much every other character on the show, but he never stays in the frippen house, does he?] by Stitch Culture on Etsy.
- You’ve Got Red On You. [Quote from film Shaun of the Dead] Halloween Hand Embroidery Hoop Art, Zombie Blood Movie Quote Home Decor, 3″ by Stitch Culture on Etsy.
- I’m Not Crazy. My Mother Had Me Tested. [Quote from The Big Bang Theory, said by Sheldon Cooper played by Jim Parsons] Hand Embroidery Hoop Art – Television Quote Comedy Hoop by Stitch Culture on Etsy.
- I Don’t Have A Square To Spare, I Can’t Spare A Square. [Quote from Television Comedy “Seinfeld”, Episode ‘The Stall’ #76, dialogue between Elaine Benes played by Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Jane played by Jamie Gertz] Cross Stitch PDF Pattern by BetaStitch, LadyBeta on Etsy.
- No Day But Today. [Quote from the Broadway Musical “RENT” by Jonathan Larson] Hand Embroidery Hoop – Another Day by moxiedoll on Etsy.
- I Am So Smart. S – M – R – T. [Quote from Television Animated Comedy “The Simpsons”, Homer Simpson voice by Dan Castellaneta] Embroidery Hoop – TV Quote – Funny Television Home Back To School Dorm Decor by Stitch Culture on Etsy.
- You’re A Virgin Who Can’t Drive. [Quote from the 1995 film “Clueless”, said by Tai Frasier played by Brittany Murphy to Cher Horowitz, played by Alicia Silverstone] Hand Embroidery Hoop Art – 1990s Teen Movie Bright Pink Home Decor: Hoop Art by Stitch Culture on Etsy.
- Clear Alcohols Are For Rich Women On Diets. [Quote from TV Show ‘Parks and Rec.’, uttered by Ron Swanson played by Nick Offerman] Hand Embroidery Hoop Art – Parks and Rec TV Quote: Kitchen Home Decor by Stitch Culture on Etsy.
- And I Thought They Smelled Bad On The Outside. [Quote from STAR WARS: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back, said by Han Solo played by Harrison Ford] Star Wars Embroidery for Tauntaun Lovers by Water Penny on Etsy.
- As You Wish. [Quote from the modern classic movie “The Princess Bride”, uttered repeatedly by Westley played by actor Cary Elwes] Cross Stitch Quote From The Princess Bride by (not so) Modern Millie on Etsy.
- There’s Always Money In The Banana Stand. [Quote from TV’s “Arrested Development” yelled by George Bluth at his son Michael Bluth, Season 1, Episode 2.] Cross Stitch Quote From Arrested Development by (not so) Modern Millie on Etsy.
- You Stay Classy, San Diego. [Quote from Comedy Film “Anchorman” starring Will Ferrell as Ron Burgundy. This is his classic signature sign-off at the end of the News Broadcast.] Personalized Hand Embroidered Hoop Art – Customize to Your State, Home Decor by Stitch Culture on Etsy.
- Do Or Do Not. There Is No Try. [Quote from STAR WARS: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back, said by Yoda, voiced by Frank Oz, to Luke Skywalker played by Mark Hamill] Hand Embroidered Hoop Art – Yoda Movie Quote/Motivational Embroidery Home Dorm Decor by Stitch Culture on Etsy.
- You Rush A Miracle Man, You Get Rotten Miracles. [Quote from “The Princess Bride”, uttered by Miracle Max, played by Billy Crystal] The Princess Bride Embroidery Hoop – Philosophical Movie Quote Home Decor – Made to Order by Stitch Culture on Etsy.
- My Name’s Not F#@!ing Warren. [Quote from 1995 Teen Flick “Empire Records”, said by “Warren” played by Brendan Sexton] Embroidery Hoop – Empire Records Movie Quote Home Decor/Mature by Stitch Culture on Etsy.
How did you do kids? I had to look up five of these classics myself, though one of them was on the tip of my tongue and I was so close to getting it. Meanwhile, looking up all the details for you made this one of my most research dense Blog posts yet. Who loves you? This Gal! Have a fabulous Wacky & Wonderful Wednesday everyone.